Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Do you need both a small EZcube and a large EZcube light tent?

Judy M recently wrote. Most of the pottery items I plan to photograph will be from 8” to 12" in diameter or height. I ordered the 30" EZcube kit because I make a few items in the 16 - 24" height/diameter range. I assume the 30" EZcube would work just as well for the smaller items as for the larger items? (I know a 12" cube comes with the kit, but for things that are less than 12” will I need to use the smaller EZcube? Will the 30’’EZcube work just as well for smaller items as for the larger items?

Our reply:

8-12’’ subjects will work fine in a 30’’ EZcube. For really small items like thimbles, rings, glass animals, beads, etc., I recommend using the 12’’ EZcube though. (That’s one reason why we include both sizes in the kit.) The 12” EZcube is easier to work with, and takes up a lot less space. The smaller EZcube will also give you a bit more control over highlights when shooting small shiny subjects.

So the bottom line is that if you are trying to decide between a larger or a smaller EZcube light tent. You can always put a smaller item in a large tent, but you can’t fit a large item in a light tent that’s too small.

No comments: